Thursday, August 24, 2006

cellphones and freedom and the like

Yes I have had a cellphone ever since I got convinced by my former Boss at the four star hotel Europe in Basel, Switzerland to get one despite my inherent and vehement repulsion against such device.
You get one because you think you need one and then it needs you to need you. It becomes part of your dress code. Believe me, I've had my cellphone in the shaft of my right boot (as sported in LA) and recently in my tigh bikini-balcony-bra-like thing I wore and yes, it fitted neatly inbetween my breasts and it buzzed quit pleasantly whenever somebody tried to get a hold of me.
Funnily enough, recent developments in my behavior, however, have led to me not answering the phone all the time anymore. I've had it, to put it simple. If I don't feel like picking up when Brian calls, I won't pick up because I am in a conversation. No more 'Sorry, I have to take this!' kind of bullshit.
As if secretely manipulated from a parallel universe my phone charger started detoriating together with my cellphone attitude. First there was a crack and then it was lose and now it is broke. Great. No more charging, ha, and my phone died.
So what do you do in LA without a cellphone?
Well, let me tell you first of all: it rules all those people out who don't REALLY want to get a hold of you. Because there is always e-mail and I have to admit that having 24/7 internet access is almost as bad as having a cellphone. But I digress. Let's get back to this phenomenom: freedom.
Yesterday night I drove down Hollywood Blvd on my skateboard and caught myself touching my pockets as if my phone was in there and I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss the buzzing in case someone called. Ah! It's dead! DEAD!
And believe it or not, a feeling of relief rushed to my head. I felt so free, it was ridiculous.
I think the best solution will be to have a home phone with an answering machine. And going back to the healthy division between spontaneity and planning and keeping words and promises.

A little trust in people who will help out if you really need it.
A little more concentration on what really matters.
And a lot more freedom from needy people.

Amen

1 comment:

chrome said...

used to have this manageress who had a real strong vibrating buzz to her mobile phone. endless speculations as to what she really did with her phone ;)

i feel your freedom big time. my phone was broke for all last week and it was bliss. turned it back on to 29 messages on my voice mail. they could've all emailed or knocked on my bloody front door!