Thursday, August 03, 2006

Le Gurp



I remember when I was young. We went to South France, to this camping site called 'Le Gurp' close to Bordeaux.
Now, Bordeaux Red has always been on my top five colors and I was maybe 12 and I loved it. It was in the days of my first uncertain steps alone into this big world. I just had passed a month alone in a French Family in rural Southern France close to Toulouse where I had met Amanda. Amanda was this girl who knew German, but i lived with a family that didn't know any other language but French. I didn't even know how to ask 'why' in French and I tell ya, being a 12 year old girl in a big French Family is nothing but one huge big fat adventure.
They would talk until late (that was 9 or 10 PM lol) during dinner. The conversation flooded over my head like a tsunami, I think I couldn't really communicate until the last day but when I returned one year later I understood all of the sudden and miraculously a lot of French. It's great being a kid and learning languages like that. I think mostly we communicated body style. I remember how I learned the word 'gros' (which means fat or big) when we had a tickle fight. hahaha. Oh my. it was meant to describe my little chubby self but to be honest, I wasn't chubby at all. I have just always been big.
Anyways.
Le Gurp. We went there with Amanda's family and the second summer we went there with my two elder sisters who had been to Finland the summer before, all by themselves.
As we drove down the road to the camping site me and my brother and father were extremely excited. We leaned out the window and yelled 'Le Guuuurp! We're coming!!!!'
For some reason it was a great disappointment for me, when my sister Juli, to whom I always had looked up, found it to be 'not that overwhelmingly awesome after all'. It was as if she just had declared myself as a failure. Lol. Children.
We learned how to dance rock'n'roll there though and I studied every day Algebra with my dad. I wanted to THINK.
The black boison berries were delicious and many an hour past by with me and my mom picking berries. The stone pine trees smelled lovely and my dad got overwhelmed by diarrhea one day and had to take a shit right in front of our neighbouring camper. It was hilarious. We laughed for hours about the incident.
My brother Gawan, Amanda and I spent hours jumping down the dunes, I cut my toe and saw a boy flying his kite and I was nervous to talk to him. 12 years old.
I had a body that was fit and lean and I was all into sports and being tough. I have a picture of me with Amanda at the beach. The wind blows into our hair and we look like we are going to conquer the world.
Le Gurp and the time in North Spain in the Pyrenees (we left Le Gurp early to go there I think) is the smell of my life right now. I constantly have it in my heart for some reason. It is connected to my love and to how I am right now. To what I do. It is incredible. I don't know whether I have to go there - is it calling me? I don't know. It sure was a beautiful time. As it is now. In all its messy glory.
Let the ocean teach you...

No comments: