Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Mos Def - amateur star struck

Ralphs at Sunset and Fuller has been known as the "rocker's-ralphs" back in the days and even today you can spot here and there a celebrity go about their shopping - because, -surprise!- they, too, are just human beings who need to go shopping, and no, not all celebrities live like kings and queens back in the days with servants and slaves and what not but they actually DO stuff by themselves.
So does MOS DEF and as the wretched pop-culture illiterate that I've proven to be I of course did not know how he looks like. I guess I've seen pictures of him but totally forgot about it because I am bad with names, period.
As a portrait painter I memorize faces very well though which leads, however, to embarassing situations such as me telling random people on the street 'oh my god, where do I know you from? I forgot your name!' just because I watched them on the bus or so and I guess more often than I'd like to know it really comes across as a really stupid hook-up line. (matter of fact Mr. Asshole was one of those people. He thought I was playing but I was serious, and it all led to this mess which is another story though)
Well, good that I didnt' say anything to HIM for that matter because yes, he looked familiar but lets say, he just looks like someone I really could like, ya know? Like a person you see at Ralphs in the Cashier's line and you think 'holy moly, this guy really looks NICE, like a person I would like to know' *smirk* you get my drift. So I kept my mouth shut as far as stupid hook-up lines are concerned.
However, I have to admit, that I was in a really giggely mood. I just had been on Runyon Canyon with wondermazing Amanda and felt really refreshed and refueled with good energy and we were going to buy yummy food you know?

So we stand in line and I start talking shit like usual and this in a not so quiet voice 'oh no! Kate gets a divorce! man, you know Chris really looks better with a beard. Dont ya think? And anyways, I was really wondering why Jen and Vince don't get engaged yet. Really. dont you think so Amanda...'blablablablubb, my voice throbbing with sarcasm and scorn.
Amanda just stood there laughing at me while I was pretentiously making fun of the tabloids and how people are actually interested in that kind of shit (she and I know that we, too, read those tabloids in our darkest hours tee-hee! so nothing for bad fellas!) and MOS DEF was just standing right in front of me and I kinda flirted with him, smiling at him and he looked at me and smirked (HE SMIRKED!) and read sth in a little book or so. So as we are waiting I start talking even more shit like 'Oh who's that woman that was spotted at Ralphs with Amanda Zelina? is it her new guru and lalalallala'
Suddenly Amanda whispers in my ear 'he is a very famous actor'
I am like 'oh really' and start laughing. So much for celebrities. I am such an illiterate.
She thinks a little and says, 'wait, yes, he is...ahm, Mos Def'
I AM LIKE WHAT?????
I know Mos Def the musician first ya know! but i didn't know how he looks like! And I thought I'd never be star-struck but man, I didn't know it was him and I liked him just like that, you know, his persona. He is not a pretty pretty boy, ya know, he has a big nose, but he looks awesome in a different way. Like someone interesting.
When we got outside Ralphs he drove by in a pretty cool car and smiled at us. man I guess he thought I knew who he was but I so didn't. And I so did embarrass myself but unfortunately he ll probably never know that... lol
it was fun to float on a wave of star struckness for a couple of moments ;)

Ralphs, in Hollywood

2 comments:

chrome said...

haha i like that. i met dude at a concert 2 years ago. down to earth dude and just stood in the crowd with us. had no he was next to me till a friend nudged me. i proceeded to trouble his life with 8 million questions.

like you i know mos the rapper/musician first. not been sold on his acting thing but his music is excellent.

emeralda said...

oh dude! what did you ask him??? i am intrigued and i laugh about it all the time. i don't know myself like that...